CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, January 30, 2010

My first day of *teaching*

I know that people teach all the time. I mean, I know like a gazillion teachers. I've always admired people who can corral a class of students and actually have them learn something. But now my admiration has turned into sheer amazement.

My first day actually went better than I had anticipated. I practically keeled over during the night worrying about how badly it was going to go. Looking at it again, I would probably not start homeschooling in the middle of the year. Now I have to do twice as much stuff just so I can catch up to where they would be in school. I don't really want to skip through since it's probably good for them to review anyway.

Mr. C did a week's worth of work in one day. He would have done more, but I just had to take a break. I guess that'll help us catch up quickly, but it sure makes it hard to plan for materials if I don't know how much we're going to get through in one day, ya know?

I really like the curriculum. I like how the Bible is weaved into the lessons, and how it's laid out pretty specifically for me. I am, after all, a new teacher. The more specific, the better.

I think the hardest part was keeping the girls occupied. I can't really sit them down and give them a project yet. But, I'm sure I'll learn tips that will keep them happy as time goes on.

Overall, I was happy with the first day. I still feel overwhelmed when I think about just how much I need to do each day. And when I think about teaching everything I need to to 3 different kids, it scares me a bit. Next year I'll actually have three different curriculum to teach...ok, deep breath. One day at a time.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Shanti, Thanks for leaving me a comment on my blog. Congratulations on the beginning of your homeschooling journey. You're going to LOVE it! We used different cirriculum for different subjects - we kind of picked a little of this and a little of that. If I had a nickel for every book I returned I'd be a rich lady. If you are interested in some recommendations, leave me a comment with your email address - I won't post it, I'll just send you some feedback on the stuff we used. But, if you are like me, you may just want to figure it all out for yourself. Keep up the good work and be ever so blessed.

    ReplyDelete